Personal development / Research ethics / Scientific integrity
Individual guidance for PhD candidates
- Organising institute: VU University medical center Academie
- Contact person: Christien van Santen, manager VU University medical center Academie, tel (020) 4445963 or mail to: email@example.com
- Duration and costs: €125,- per session (intake free). Depending on the question most of the time 2-8 sessions are required.
- More information here
Obtaining your PhD is a track is a challenging task and most PhD candidates will recognize issues like:
- Being stuck in a PhD track;
- communication problems with supervisor(s);
- not being able to oversee all tasks at hand and how to prioritize them
- finding it difficult to find a balance between research and patient care
- having doubts about the career path that is being followed
- issues with partnering institutions
- lack of motivation
If you are also experiencing these or other issues it is advisable to discuss them with an independent outsider (who knows the scientific world from inside). A coach helps you to clear your mind, gives valuable insights in the nature of the issues your dealing with and helps you to take the necessary steps to smoothen your PhD.
Integral PhD-program: from student to professional
Workshop Personal Development and competencies during your PhD
- Information about the course can be found here
- Organising institute: VUmc academy
- Workload: 2 EC (the online module only is 1 EC)
- Target group: all PhD candidates in Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and VU University Medical Center
- Costs: €550,-
Each scientist deals with dilemmas in the field of research integrity. About the extremes of the spectrum is little discussion. It is clear for everyone that falsifying and fabricating data, and also committing plagiarism, are very serious errors. This is scientific misconduct. However, it is less clear for a wide range of questionable research practices. These often involve violations of the methodological basic principles.
All scientists will recognize the pressure to publish and to gain grants. The emptation might come along to cut a few corners, or worse. Resisting that temptation is not always easy. There are also many dilemmas for which the answer is not easy to give and can raise doubts about how to behave in specific situations.
We will discuss these issues in our blended course. The course is mandatory for all PhD candidates of the VU University Medical center.
The course consists of:
- The Epigeum online course about Research Integrity. Participation in and passing this online course is obligatory to start the interactive course.
- A 1,5 day interactive course; partly working in subgroups.